Imagine a world where what you think and draw as an artist comes alive. While it may not be possible to make objects like a living entity but with 3D printing, it is possible to get a print which looks absolutely lifelike. Due to its ability to produce life-like images, 3D printing technology has found application in various field including Art, Medical, Architecture etc. 3D Printing has the capacity to make the simplest things look lively and beautiful. They enhance the quality and beautify the image. But this is possible only if you choose the Best 3D printer. With so many choices available in 3D Printers in the market to spoil you, it is a difficult task to know which one is the best and suits your requirement the most.
We are here with review of best 3D printer to give you better insight about 3D printing and to help you choose the 3D printer as per your requirement.
Evolution of 3D Printers
- The process of 3D printing was invented in 1983 by Chuck Hull. The process of inventing 3D printing is known as Stereo lithography. In Stereo lithography, we make some solid objective by adding raw material on it. Alternatively, we can also say that 3D printing is also known as additive manufacturing. In this object is created be adding layer and layer. Additive manufacturing allow designing complex parts of cars, aeroplane, and machine.
- 3D printing technology has been in existence for last 30 years, but this showed great involvement recently. Since 2009, the industrial additive manufacturing companies extended their limit with the technology of 3D printing with different sort of materials and new speeds to make the printing technology more advanced and efficient. New and updated features are being added to the printers. With the coming of 3D printing technology, the additive manufacturing method is becoming obsolete. This could be seen from the rise in sales figure for 3D printers and its penetration in large scale. There are now more than 300000 3D printers currently running around the world. Development of3D printer in the world continues the change the world. Technology has brought affordable, easy to use and consume grate models to market. One can increase the life of your furniture and home appliance by creating spare parts or any other parts by the 3D printer. One of the greatest things about the 3D printer is that it can be beneficial for everyone. It may be used in industry, by any profession, or in the home also. All 3D printers create physical objects but the only difference is in their method and the Best 3D printer creates it with precision and excellence
How 3D Printers Work
- You can select or make designs of any object from your laptop or PC. Connect the 3D printer to it. There should be software installed for printing with 3D printers. The software prepares the imported CAD file and prepares it for printing. This software guide the device to print on particular alignments with the X axis and Y Axis. The fundamentals of 3D printing process take a particular object into tiny little slices, it starts from the bottom layer to up layer each slice by slice. These tiny layers are compressed together to form a solid print. This type of printer is known as fused deposition modelling. Majority of 3D Printer are available of this type.
- Another technology is stereo lithography and Selective Laser Sintering. Stereo lithography is used quite expensive and is majority used for industrial projects. The fundamental of this technology is it allows for higher quality print by operating of an ultraviolet beam. While Selective Laser Sintering makes use of lasers and powder to form a layer of printed material.
Basic Steps Of 3D Printing Are
- In the first step, you have to just prepare the blueprint or design a 3D file of that object that you want to print. This blueprint can be created with the help of a 3D scanner. Or you can also online download it.
- In the 2nd step, you choose which material is best for your object, which could include plastic, metals, sand, textile, glass, food and even dust. Then you print the object.
- The final step is finishing step. In this, you must have some specific skills. When the object is first printed, it cannot be directly used until it has been sanded or painted completely.
Best 3D Printer Under $500
For schools and families who are interested in 3D printing technology but have the constraint of the budget, the market has taken care of their need. There are now many 3D printers available in the market that comes under $500. They have equally good feature and good printing quality to create a 3D model for school assignments. We bring to you a list of 3D printers under $500 with the in-depth detail of their feature, pros and cons. This will make it easier for you to decide which one is suitable for your requirement.
1. Monoprice Select Mini 3D Printer V2:-
Monoprice is one of the most Cheap 3d printers that consists with quality best budget 3d printer worth $189. Monoprice 3D Printer operates within the Best 3d printers under 500 and more that is a fully assembled and calibrated only at the factory. It contains a nozzle-cooling fan along with the board-cooling fan. It also consists of an accessory kit, all metal-nozzle, Wi-Fi, USB, Bluetooth, MicroSD Card connectivity. Contains a 3.7″ IPS colour screen. It is compatible with Windows and Mac OS.
- Affordable cost- it comes under $500 and is the best you can get for a very low price.
- Works with all types of filament- The heated build plate and a wide range of extruder temperatures allow this printer to work with any type of 3D printer filament, from basic filaments, such as ABS and PLA, to more advanced materials, such as conductive PLA, wood and metal composites, or dissolvable PVA
- Compact Desktop Design: Featuring a small footprint and basic, open frame design, this 3D printer is compact enough for any desk.
- Not suitable for large-scale printing purpose.
- Due to its small size, it won’t work efficiently for large objects.
2. Monoprice Maker Select 3D Printer v2 With Large Heated:-
The Monoprice 3d printer is an affordable 3d printer since its inception. It is a DIY 3d printerwhich is least expensive and is the best entry-level printers. It includes 2GB MicroSD that are printable for various 3D models. Contains filament along with the heated build plate allows a high readability. It also uses some compatible software such as Simplify 3D or Cura and Repetier.
- If you are buying it from Amazon you also get free sample filament and MicroSD card preloaded with Printable 3D models.
- 3D filament- Prints any type of 3D filament including ABS-based, PLA-based, PET, TPU, TPC, FPE, PVA. HIPS, Jelly, Foam and Felty.
- Micro SD slot – this allows you to print directly from the loaded images in the SD card without having to connect with Windows or Mac PC. This saves considerable time.
- Compatibility- It has huge compatibility with all types of software. With the ability to use both open-source and commercial software, such as Cura, Repetier, or Simplify 3D, the Maker Select 3D Printer is compatible with Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.
- Large Volume- The large 8 x 8-inch build plate and generous 7-inch vertical spacing mean that you can print larger, more complex models.
- It does not have a dual extruder which means you cannot have two colour printing. One has to depend on a single colour only.
- This version still has a grounding issue causing temperature fluctuations which makes printing quality poor.
- The printer cannot go over temperature as the PTFE tube inside will melt, making it unsuitable for complex design printing.
3. FlashForge Finder 3D Printers:-
An easy to use, home friendly and wallet-friendly flash forge creator pro 3D printer is user-friendly which is designed to be the home 3d printer. It is the DIY 3d printer that contains non-toxic PLA and an impressive intuitive colour touch screen. It contains a leveling system that is easily calibrated, with Wi-Fi and other connectivity option yet wireless.
- Slide-in build plate allows printed objects to be easily removed
- 3.5-Inch full-color touch screen with intuitive icons makes for easy operation
- Sturdy, plastic alloy construction ensures stable prints
- Safe, non-heated build plate
- WiFi, USB, flash drive and Cloud connectivity
- Intelligent assisted levelling system. More precise and easier calibration
- Finder is equipped with super quiet printing designing, the sound of operation is low to 50 decibels, provides a quiet printing experience for colleague and family!
- Finder supports 3D Cloud function. 3D Cloud not only allows you to store, edit, share and printing status checking online, but also provides you with a massive model database.
- It is bulky and huge.
- It cannot do laser engraving, making its use for the commercial purpose very limited.
- It is meant for PLA printing only
- It cannot print using the different material
4. [Open Filament] DA Vinci 1.0 Pro. Wireless 3D Printer:-
The da Vinci 1.0 Pro is no doubt one of the Best 3D Printer. It is one of the ready to use printers loaded with the filaments that is auto-landing. It also contains extruder nozzle and aluminium print bed, which is a versatile model that produces exceptional quality finishing with the affordable prices. It is a 3d printer for miniatures contains a hassle free software comes with a free CAD and slicing software.
- Support 3rd Party Filament-With adjustable temperature setting and heated aluminium print bed, the Da Vinci 1.0 Pro can print with any 3rd party 1.75mm filament, which includes PLA/Abs? Tough PLA/PETG/Wood/HPS.
- Adjustable features- With multiple software setting you can control the temperature, speed, support and even retractions to ensure your prints come out perfectly every time.
- High resolution- Da Vinci Pro series has a high resolution ranging from 20 to 400 micron. Making it one of printer for miniature.
- Upgradable Laser Engraving- One can create their own design by laser engraving on various materials such as paper, cardboard, leather, wood and plastic.
- More than 3000 3D models available for free to download.
- All XYZ printing printers come with FREE CAD and slicing software.
- Laser engraving is an optional addition which you have to buy if you want. It is not an inbuilt feature.
- You cannot use metal PLA for printing
- It is limited power supply support of 110V only whereas other similar printers provide power support of 220V.
5. HICTOP Creality CR-10 3D Printer:-
It contains the Best 3d printer filament with an assured accuracy, huge printing volumes, stable and less noisy. The printer is an assembled one that requires hooking everything up. It contains high accuracy bearings that make the printer designed together as it is safe, easy and affordable 3D Printer. It is a Great choice for the beginner with excellent value also includes extra large build space, 11.8” X 11.8” X 15.7” for printing on big objects. The overall design is standard but with extra blue racing stripes that enhanced its look.
- It can use any filament with the size of 1.75mm. There is a possibility of upgrading the filament for printing properly.
- It has a print resolution of 50-400 microns with a fast speed of 50-80 mm/s.
- No matter the shape whether it be round edge, sharp points or layers, with this 3D printer, you can print easily. You have the option of connecting with USB or SD card. It weighs about 25 lbs.
- It is not completely DIY project nor completed assembled one. It comes in three pieces to be attached together. For an expert, it merely takes 20 minutes. They provide you best support on your troubleshooting. The company has a good background in customer service resolution.
- The heat is not distributed evenly throughout. So the filaments like ABS, that require strong heat between 80 – 100 degree Celsius, will face some problem while printing. If you are a beginner and want to use a filament like nylon, you don’t need an extra bed. Else, you have to change the print bed.
Best 3D Printer Under $1000
If features are more to you and are not too price sensitive then there are multiple options in 3D printers that cost under $1000 and comes packed with great features. We are listing below few of them which are totally worth the money you spend.
6.Flash Forge 3D Printer Creator Pro:-
It is an open source printer, so you have the option of experimenting and upgrading with different things. It is affordable 3d printer and includes good features for its value. Its platform is designed for providing stability of vertical movement. Due to its features of the dual extrude and open source, there is the limitless option you can enjoy making it the 3d printer. It is an almost pre-assembled printer with an average printing quality. Built-in are cheap parts and lack of proper precision in bed level. The printer is spacious with 9inches X 7 inches that can give you show creativity widely.
- It is reliable and can bear high print bed temperature which helps the material from warping.
- There is a powder coated steel frame that is easy to hold all the parts together with a solid bearing to improve the performance overall.
- Buy if you want to try 3D printer with a feature of the dual extrude and open source. You can find this device nearly about $1,000 or less.
- It is difficult to set up and process with working. There is no proper instruction provided for assembling and working on it.
- Some customers are not satisfied with its extruder and consistency.
7. QIDI Technology 3DP-QDA 16-01 Dual Extruder Desktop 3D Printer:-
QIDI technology 3DP-QDA 16-01 Dual Extruder Desktop 3D printer is most precise and dependable 3D printer. It comes with dual extruder along with a flat aluminum plate with high-quality standards. If you want 3D printer without pinching too much on your pocket then this printer is definitely a good choice. It contains easy to use software that even laymen can use and create customized 3D models.
- The plate can withstand the high temperature without wrapping or deforming. It is compatible with ABS and PLA filaments with a thickness of 1.75mm. There is a set of filament spools provided with the printer.
- It can hold the temperature of 260 degrees centigrade.
- FDM technology gives the printer to print the layer resolution from 100 to 300 microns.
- It is a dual extruder with good quality of designs printed.
- You can add a new colour to your printing process anytime to produce two colours in a single object.
- There are two filaments, 3D removal tool and smoothing pen included in it. 3D pen removal helps you removing the printed object from bed while pen gives you access to smooth the exterior surface.
- It is too bulky about 46.3 pounds. The build size is 9X6X6.
- You need to have a properly ventilated room while printing.
- Need to have prior experience of assembling; the SD card slot is located inside the printer. It easy to remove finish model which are very delicate and can otherwise be distorted easily. Not just that the removable player also has great flexibility which means you can fold the plate for better ease of removing the finished model. Don’t mistake it for plastic plate. It is made of a special metal
- It will not work with octopi or astroprint because there is no USB printer port on the X-Pro. The USB port is only for memory sticks/storage devices.
- There is no filament run out detection capability
- It does not have or support laser engraver.
8. QIDI TECHNOLOGY 3D Printer Newest Model:-
It has fantastic features. They are upgrade version of Qidi Tech 3D printer to make printing easier and smoother. It boasts of remarkable features likeX-Pro, Wi-Fi function, BreakPoint Printing, Dual Extruder, High Precision Printing. Priced at $849, this 3D printer is best in class in that price category.
- Huge applicability- it finds utility to family, schools, 3D printing fans and businesses. It is the DIY 3D printer.
- Ease of operating- The redesigned removable plate makes it easy to remove finish model which are very delicate and can otherwise be distorted easily. Not just that the removable player also has great flexibility which means you can fold the plate for better ease of removing the finished model. Don’t mistake it for a plastic plate. It is made of a special metal
- Faster cooling- The redesigned double extruder is equipped with a four sides blowing turbofan which has a better cooling effect. Further due to dual extruder one can create dual colour images. This makes your work ease
- Self-contained Software: QIDI Print
- Compatible software: Simplify3D, Cura
- Compatible Computer Systems: Windows 64 bit /Mac
- Printing Connect Ways: USB Pen Drive, Ethernet cable, WiFi function
- It will not work with octopi or Astro print because there is no USB printer port on the X-Pro. The USB port is only for memory sticks/storage devices.
- There is no filament run out detection capability
- It does not have or support laser engraver.
9. Hictop Creality CR-10S 3D Printer:-
Coming for as cheap as $539, this 3D printer is best suited for creation of life like prints of huge size objects. It is Ideal for industrial use as well. The product comes with a manual to facilitate easy set up of the machine.
- It is easy to assemble 3D printer, a good value for money, and it comes with removable glass print bed.
- RESUME PRINTS: CR-10S has the ability to resume prints even after a power outage or lapse occurs.
- FILAMENT MONITOR: CR-10S main board with filament alarming function, this function can detective if the filament is running out or not.
- WITH TWO COLORS (BLUE AND ORANGE) decorative strips inside. You can use either of them as per your preference.
- The bed takes a long time to heat but is not easy to work on material like ABS. So, if you are using ABS then, this is not for you.
- It is not compact and does not have a sleek design to make it easy to carry.
- Leveling the build plate can be challenging
- Can lead to wastage of resources to create samples and draft prints before correct set up is achieved.
- It needs skilled labour to operate the machine due to the delicate nature and complexity of its functioning.
Best Printer above $1000
For those people who are using 3D printers on large scale and want the best in quality, precision and features there are few options available in the market that will meet your requirement. These printers cost a little over$ 1000. But for people whose business is based on 3D printing, this is a sound investment. The cost-benefit ratio will be positive.
10. Sindoh 3DWOX DP200 3D Printer:-
Founded in 1960, Sindoh has been solely specializing in designing printers for over half a century. With its accumulated knowledge of 2D Printers, Sindoh was able to transfer all of its existing applicable technologies to developing the 3DWOX. What finally came out as a result is a professionally finished 3D Printer which comes with unique user friendly features that we believe the market has been long waiting for.
Costing slightly over $1000, this printer is priced at $1299. It gives stellar 3D printing results. Boasting of extraordinary features it is ideal for office and bulk use. The robust body will not wear away easily and it is suitable for printing of larger objects as well.
- Offers automatic loading and unloading of the filament; Insert a cartridge and 3DWOX will do the rest
- Offers users the assisted leveling system; 3Dwox calculates and assists the user in bed leveling
- Includes a wide range of connectivity options (USB Flash Drive, Ethernet, Wi-Fi, USB Cable); Internal monitoring camera for remote viewing via PC, Laptop and Smart Phones
- 5-Inch LCD screen equipped with the full-colour touchscreen menu and user-friendly instructions
- It is easy to set up and has a colour touchscreen interface.
- the poor camera placement and limited filament option are the negative or dark sides of this printer.
- It is too pricey for your pocket.
- The machine gets clogged up too frequently.
- Too many customers complain about manufacturing defect, although you can get quick and easy replacements it sure hurts the trust in the brand.
- The cartridge gets quickly used up which further adds to your cost.
11. MakerBot Replicator + 3D Printer:-
Packed with excellent features this 3D printer is best in class. It is compact and easy to carry plus it is high in demand due to unmatched printing quality. It is engineered and tested for reliable and faster printing. With 25% bigger build volume ensures improved performance.
- Camera resolution : 640 x 480. ENGINEERED AND EXTENSIVELY TESTED FOR RELIABLE, FASTER 3D PRINTING: The MakerBot Replicator+ 3D Printer has consistently rated the best desktop 3D printer for professionals, educators, and hobbyists.
- FASTER PRINT TIMES AND LARGER BUILD VOLUME: The MakerBot Replicator+ 3D Printer is approximately 30 per cent faster than the MakerBot Replicator 5th Generation Desktop 3D Printer and features a 25 per cent larger build volume..Power Requirements: 100-¬240 V, 50-60 HZ,0.76-0.43 A
- ADVANCED MakerBot PRINT 3D PRINTING SOFTWARE INCLUDED: Store, organize, and access 3D design files in your Cloud-enabled library before preparing for print. MakerBot Print is compatible with Mac and Windows computers and guides the 3D printing workflow from start to finish.
- It has good PLA filament and excellent software.
- the Clogged Print Heads and Acrylic build plate may be a cause of little concern.
- It costs a whopping $2499 for this printer.
- It doesnot come with Cad/ Designer software.
- It cannot print abs as printing that in 3D quality requires hotplate which this model lacks.
- It does not even have global warranty. One has to purchase it from the market adding to its already heavy price.
But if we talk about overall ratings then, it is highly recommended by experts.
12. Flash Forge Dreamer 3D Printer:-
It might cost you little over $1000 for this printer. However, it is worth every penny as it has very advanced features and extremely high printing quality. It has got excellent customer reviews. Among other similar printers available in the market, it has cutting-edge technological features different from the rest.
- It has a good quality of heated bed with a dual extruder.
- Durability- High-end plastic-alloy body/frame; New 3.5” HD IPS touchscreen
- Excellent customer support service- Full manufacturer’s warranty fulfilled by Flashforge Amazon, and free email support provided by expert FlashForge Amazon technicians.
- the noise level and software issues in it are somewhat troublesome.
- It is also not an open source printer.
- It is going to cost heavy on your pocket.
- Not suitable for individual use as cheaper alternatives are available for it.
- Large-scale industrial use will only help to break even the cost.
We hope that this review article will be helpful to you in choosing best 3D printer.